Friday, December 08, 2006

Pissin' me off

About the only time I get really irritable is when I've been up driving all night and am still on the road the next morning.

7:30 am - I'm trying to put some gas in my car. My check card is not working because the stripe is too worn out for the pump's temperamental reader. So I hit the "Pay Inside" button. And the pump says "Please Wait". There's a sign on there that says "Prepay after dark" - well, Ok, it's still dark, but I would not consider 7:30 am to be "after dark" by this time, most normal people would consider it to be a new day and in fact would have already begun their day. So I waited because it said "Please wait". But it never did anything and I'm wondering if the clerks consider it to be "after dark". So I start all over - hang up the hose, hit "pay inside" and stare at the "Please wait" screen which shows a little clock with the minute hand seeming to move up and down on the left side of the clock while the hour hand remains fixed on the 6. And I consider beating the hell out of the gas pump - I have been thinking that I should carry a sledge hammer in my car at all times. After I go through the "pay inside" routine a third time, a clerk comes on the intercom and tells me that I do in fact have to prepay. Well, they should say "prepay between dusk and dawn" or maybe replace the "Please wait" screen with a "prepay in effect" screen. The very term "wait" tends to convey the idea that something is going to happen eventually.


Other than that, the trip went pretty well and I made good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home