Friday, December 01, 2006

"burning" a dvd

I made a bad dvd - actually it wasn't my fault, I think it was a defective disc.
anyhow, since I've never seen a dvd in the microwave, I decided to try it with this coaster.
it was pretty cool.


dvd's sandwitch the foil layer between two layers of plastic - unlike cd's which just have one layer of plastic and the foil on top. This makes dvd's more resistant to scratches in the foil which can not be repaired. it also traps most of the bad smell. if you've ever put a cd in the microwave, you know what I mean by "the bad smell". if you haven't ever done so - go do it now. you must have some junk cd or dvd "coasters" lying about. get to it.

after taking these pictures, I was able to pry the plastic layers apart. most of the foil remained on the top layer and the purple pigment is all in the bottom layer. layers here refer to the top and bottom layers of plastic, this is just a "single layer" disc - but all dvd's (except for very, very cheap ones) have 2 layers of plastic which has nothing to do with "dual-layer" discs.

so it's a bit cooler than a microwaved cd. of course I didn't photograph the lightning - I'll see about doing that with my next one. - if I can get the stupid autofocus to focus on the dvd and not the perforated microwave screen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home