Friday, November 17, 2006

ALL CAPS AND BOLD

John linked the same page because of this guy's poor grammar and obvious scam. I'm not one to criticize the grammar or spelling of others, but I have to point out one thing.

Using all caps is really annoying. Using bold face is really annoying. Just one instance of both at the same time is distracting enough to make the rest of the passage hard to read - because the eyes are drawn to the bold caps and one must concentrate to read anything else.

This guy uses bold caps 23 times in one "paragraph"1 - by my count2. I forced myself to read the first part of the passage, but was still unable to make much sense of it. Trying to read further makes my brain hurt. I'm not sure if it's the concentration required to keep my eyes from darting to the nearest bold cap "universal energy" or the effort wasted in trying to make sense of the nonsense.

Also, someone should tell the people who write this junk that using bold caps is a sure sign that the author is a crank and the product is a sham. I don't know if they ever read any actual scientific publications, but the real ones never use bold caps. Only cranks use bold caps.

Using fake contractions in my posts might be fun, but I cannot bring myself to use boldc'ps myself even for demonstration purposes.



1. I must use quotations around the word "paragraph" here because I believe that, by definition, a paragraph must contain at least one sentence.

2. I did not double check my count.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home