Saturday, May 20, 2006

Psychologically Stranded

I've observed that most people are trapped - afraid to leave the familiar in search of the new and exciting. It's all in the mind.

People talk of leaving the crappy little towns where they grew up in search of the great wide world out there. But when it comes down to it, they are afraid to abandon the familiar.

Vacationing is one thing - you leave "home" temporarily and always have the security of knowing that you will return. When people are gone on vacation for an extended period, they become more anxious to return "home".

If one does manage to take the leap, they will usually exchange the security of one place for another. The new home becomes the secure place and they are now trapped in this new place.

I do not suffer from this condition. I've been travelling the country for the past eight years, rarely staying in one place for more than a few months. At this point, I don't have any geographic location that I consider "home". I guess that I consider "home" to be wherever I happen to be - or I have several homes with family throughout the country where I am always welcome to stay.

Even as a child, I do not remember ever being overly homesick. I would sometimes find it odd that other children would get homesick, throwing fits and such.

Though I do not suffer from this very common condition, I am searching within myself for other mental bonds from which I need to break free in order to reach my full potential. They are numerous and subtle.

1 Comments:

Blogger tom said...

Did you konw that both traveling and travelling are correct? So are cancelling and canceling, travelled and traveled, and cancelled and canceled. I prefer the one l versions because they take one less keystroke and because they look right. Also, I think the two l versions should sound different, like cancelling should be read aloud to sound like "can selling" not "canceling," and for some reason thinking about can selling brings back memories, which I don't like to remember, of when I was a child in Cub Scouts walking down the streets of T-Vegas, knocking on doors, and asking for donations for the food drive, even though I was actually begging, not selling anything.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home