Friday, November 02, 2007

meme tag (a reason to update my blog thanks to John)

John has tagged me with a meme. PZ Myers started this on Pharyngula a while ago.

Here are the rules:
There are a set of questions below that are all of the form, "The best [subgenre] [medium] in [genre] is...". Copy the questions, and before answering them, you may modify them in a limited way, carrying out no more than two of these operations:

You can leave them exactly as is.
You can delete any one question.
You can mutate either the genre, medium, or subgenre of any one question. For instance, you could change "The best time travel novel in SF/Fantasy is..." to "The best time travel novel in Westerns is...", or "The best time travel movie in SF/Fantasy is...", or "The best romance novel in SF/Fantasy is...".
You can add a completely new question of your choice to the end of the list, as long as it is still in the form "The best [subgenre] [medium] in [genre] is...".

You must have at least one question in your set, or you've gone extinct, and you must be able to answer it yourself, or you're not viable.

Then answer your possibly mutant set of questions. Please do include a link back to the blog you got them from, to simplify tracing the ancestry, and include these instructions. Finally, pass it along to any number of your fellow bloggers. Remember, though, your success as a Darwinian replicator is going to be measured by the propagation of your variants, which is going to be a function of both the interest your well-honed questions generate and the number of successful attempts at reproducing them.

My Ancestors:
My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparent is Flying Trilobite
My great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparent is A Blog Around the Clock
My great-great-great-great-great-grandparent is The Anterior Commissure
My great-great-great-great-grandparent is Laelaps
My great-great-great-grandparent is Quintessence of Dust
My great-great-grandparent is An Evangelical Dialogue On Evolution
My great-grandparent is Exploring Our Matrix
My grandparent is Sporadic Maunderings
My parent is Signs of Insanity

The Questions (and Answers):
1. The best scary movie in children's movies is:

The Never Ending Story. The wolf always scared me. Especially in the scene just before they kill it - when it jumps out.

2. The best song that moves me inexplicably in 80s pop is:

Against All Odds by Phil Collins. People like to trash talk Phil Collins. I think he might have been a musical genius. Anyhow, the song can just about make me cry. I don't know why.

3. The best adventure movie in Historical Fiction is:

The Patriot with Mel Gibson. I would have said Road Warrior, but that's not Historical Fiction and I don't have enough changes left to change that. The Patriot will do. It has Mel in it and it wasn't bad.

4. The best book appealing to both children and adults in Fantasy is:

Nothing hard about this one. It's A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin. I've read a few comparisons between this book and Harry Potter (Ged goes to a school for wizards). But there is no comparison. Earthsea is a true work of art. Too bad the Sci-Fi channel had to make that piece of crap allegedly based on it. I recommend this book to everyone.

5. The most fantastic melody of all time is found in:

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album. You can listen to just one track, but it's best to experience the album as a single piece - or two pieces if you consider the gap between sides on the LP. I don't know which part, specifically, contains the best melody.

6. The best Coming of age movie in Comedy is:

Rushmore
directed by Wes Anderson and written by Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson. I believe that Wes Anderson is one of the few film makers still making films that are worth watching. hmm. more on this thought in a future post?


So now I tag Becca.

4 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I thought about A Wizard of Earthsea, too. Like Qalmlea's choice of Terry Prachett's A Hatful of Sky, I think it's a good choice, as long as the children in question are around 10 or 11 years old. The Wind in the Willows, on the other hand, is simple enough for kids as young as 4 or 5, but well written enough that it isn't pandering crap, so adults can enjoy it as well.

9:57 AM  
Blogger John said...

Jacquie decided not to play.

6:30 PM  
Blogger John said...

I've just been checking out your Flikr page.

"The fish keep biting and waking me up. It's annoying."

I think that is a perfect summation of Karen.

6:44 PM  
Blogger John said...

I wanted to comment on a lot of those pictures, but not enough to get a yahoo account.

I'd just like to say that Mike and I started the "camper's island" thing.

We'd stop on the rocks there to get rid of all the leeches that were a consequence of frogging. One day we wandered up onto the island and thought "this would make a good campsite." For the next few years, Mike and I did not stay in the cabins at all.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home