Saturday, November 04, 2006

The most annoying thing in the world

My dad has this wireless thermometer designed to display the outside temperature from up to 3 sensors as well as the inside temperature as read by the receiver.

That's all great - you can see how cold it is, Yeah!

It also keeps track of the day's coldest point and such. Again, that's great.

However, the designers must have thought that the fact that the current temp is the lowest so far is the most important information in the world and that the family will be running to the thermometer all day to see just how cold it is. The stupid thing beeps every time it reads a temperature lower than any of the day's previous readings. This beep is one of those beeps designed to really get your attention - it's extremely annoying. And when the temperature is dropping - like at night, when you're trying to get to sleep or watch a movie or something - or like the entire season of autumn, the thing is continuously beeping at random intervals.

There is no way to disable the beep - except to change to a channel with no thermometer attached. I don't know how my dad's got the thing set up, but there are 3 channels and only 2 of them display a temp. So when it's on the 3rd channel it doesn't beep, but it doesn't show a temp either. This is fine as far as I'm concerned - If I cared how cold it was, I'd just step outside, say "Yeah, it's cold", and then go back inside. I don't really give a crap about "highs" and "lows" or any of that weatherman junk. But my dad is always checking on the temp. So when I got the display set to channel 3 so that it doesn't beep, he has to switch it to one of the other channels to see how cold it is. And he always leaves it on one of the other channels.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry - I think that was a gift from me to Dad. I thought he would think it's cool and he is very hard to buy for. I never knew that it had an annoyed beep when the temp dropped.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home