Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Random thoughts for Wed, 10/25

I guess I gotta start putting a date in the title 'cause I can't have 50 posts with the title "random thoughts"

My mom made some burgers for dinner today. Wild elk burger - there's none better.

Skipping ahead several minutes, in order to give you a taste of my family's perspective on elk burger - I was frying up an elk patty on the stove and my dad said "Why'd you make it so small". I said, "so it'll fit on the dinner roll." (My mom had dinner rolls ready AFTER dinner - her one burger and cottage cheese dinner). And then I pointed out that it's as big a patty as you'd expect if you went into any restaurant and ordered a standard burger - it was close to 1/4 pound if not more.

Back to my mom's burger - I took a bite out of it and commented on the rareness of the meat. She gave a characteristically vague answer. I like my burgers pink in the middle, but this thing was like steak tartar wrapped with a thin layer of cooked meat. So I ate it.

While frying my second burger, I was watching the pan and its contents and noticing the changes as they cooked. And I started thinking about heat, which got me thinking about thermal conductivity and such, including insulation, which got me thinking of asbestos. And asbestos brought me to the following story. (and I may have already written a post about this long ago)

I was with a relative, sitting at dinner at the house of some family friends. I think they were serving spaghetti. They set the table. I took notice of an item on the table and began a conversation about it. It was a hot pad - the kind that you set hot things on to keep them from burning the table. And I noticed that it was made of asbestos. I am no expert on asbestos, but it was fairly obvious because it said "Asbestos" in large, impossible to miss letters and the thing looked like it was straight out of the 50's. None of them seemed to have any idea what asbestos is or why it might be notable to have an asbestos pot holder on their dinner table. Well, I figured that it's safe enough as long as it is not cut it or otherwise damaged it in some way that might release asbestos fibers into the air.

It's freakin freezing in here.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

One burger and some cottage cheese?

Was Mom feeling okay? That's a lot more effort than normal.

6:58 PM  
Blogger phil said...

One extremely undercooked burger.

It's a result of the houseguest. At first it was like sunday dinner every night. Now it's fend for yourself as often as burger and cottage cheese.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home