Monday, October 09, 2006

remapping the keyboard

I switched from qwerty to the colemak keymap. Here are some pictures.



The keymap is handled by the operating system and doesn't reqire any physical change to the keyboard, but I've set it as the default keymap on my laptop, so I decided to switch the keys around to match it.



There are a few issues - my laptop keyboard has the numpad embedded in the alpha-numeric keys, accessible with numlock - switching the keys around mixes up the numpad keys. This doesn't really matter to me though because I don't ever use the embedded numpad - it's a pain in the neck.

Another issue is the home keys - now they're T and N. They don't have the little nubs that let you know that your hands are in the proper position. It hasn't affected me much yet, but I was thinking of gluing something onto T and N to fix this. I probably won't.

Colemak is less than a year old - it was just released in January.

here's an account of one user's switch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home