Monday, February 06, 2006

What do you do in there?

Some people pester me on the amount of time that I spend in the bathroom.

I'm not reading, and I'm not doing anything inappropriate.

This is what happens. I go into the bathroom in order to GO to the bathroom, but in order to do that (number 2), I gotta be relaxed. So this just naturally happens when I sit down - I don't think about relaxing.

My mind unfocuses from the immediate surroundings and immediate issues and enters a kind of meditative state. In this state I focus on the larger issues in my life - problems and potential solutions, happy memories, sad memories, etc. There's no real goal or focus, my mind is just free to wander where it will.

In this state, I loose all conscious track of time. My "business" may only take half a minute or so, but I may end up sitting there in this sort of meditative state for five minutes or longer depending on the circumstances and what pressing matters exist to pull me out of this state.

I think that it may also have to do with the psychological privacy of the bathroom which allows me to detach from the immediate world.

So there it is. Now you know.

Rarely I do read in the bathroom - which usually means that I'll be in there even longer.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I always just assumed that you were asleep. It seemed likely.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home